(Skip Walker, Ft Lauderdale)
In early August, Captain John, Connor and I descended on Florida and set to work on refitting and preparing Windancer for her big voyage. John had an ambitious plan that included major and minor repairs, a well thought-out schedule and definitive budget, and even some planned time off for golf, fishing and road trips to the Gulf Coast and Cape Canaveral. But like all great plans, especially those concerning sailboats, this one didn’t survive. Not to say we didn’t get most of it done – new toilet, new freezer, new washer/dryer, new air conditioning, new wifi, LED lights (Windancer has over 60 lights!!!!), new standing and running rigging, bottom paint, sacrificial zincs, and wiring – lots of wiring.
- Mike and Jodie for laundry, showers, pool, cable tv and home cooking
- WestMarine for free wifi, bathrooms, advice, selection and Krista the parts girl
- Harbor Freight because who doesn’t need the 198 piece drill bit and driver set for under $5?
- LMC for awesome facilities, great staff and superlative efficiency
- iPhone and Navionics because who needs navigation instruments anyway?
- 7/11 for Big Gulp, taquitos and air conditioning
- Lester’s for breakfast and L’il Red’s for lunch
- Every fast food chain in the US for all the other meals
- And Budweiser, Cruzan, and Miller Hi Life, on ice